What is up with Fancy Nancy?

Lately our little one is obsessed with Fancy Nancy and honestly the stories are quite fun… and I still think so even after reading them over and over and over again.

But as I read them they started to get to me, the whole over sexualization of our girls… have you noticed it lately? Going shopping after the cute toddler stage is a nightmare! With a wide array of mini skirts and micro shorts makes me want to hide inside of the clothes rack and cry, where did all the cute stuff go?

Ok ok, back to my story…

tonight I had enough! I grabbed a set or markers and a black pen and gave this children’s beloved character a makeover, well at least in our book.

And I honestly think Fancy Nancy looks way cuter now!

Mama’s we have the duty to raise the little souls entrusted to us, to protect them, guide them, and keep them safe physically, emotionally, and mentally. We need to raise them to respect their bodies and to see their innate beauty.

We as women don’t need to be flaunting everything God gave us, the most elegant women we encounter, those that pop to mind when we think beauty are always dressed modest, elegant, and tasteful (think Audrey Hepburn or her royal highness Kate Middleton) have you noticed that? I have payed attention to the difference in the way people treat women deppending on how they are dressed? specially men, it is quite fascinating, our femininity brings out their masculinity and when we dress like ladies they behave like gentleman.

I’d rather be treated with respect and the only way to do that is to respect myself with what I wear and how I present myself to the world. And I hope to teach my daughter this invaluable lesson with my example and guide her in learning how to dress and respect herself.

So yes, I will be coloring in all the books and having important conversations with her about this in the future and I want to encourage all the mamas out there to do the same. Change starts at home ðŸ’•

Luz

Seriously…
Bree got a makeover too…

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...