The Old-Fashioned Things


Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let’s be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.

Laura Ingalls Wilder

It is always so fun to visit grampas house this time of year. Specially for me a city girl from another country!

I get to learn about traditions passed down from generations and how people have lived in this country for many years, preparing for the cold winter and stocking their pantries with the fruits of their garden and the hard work from early spring and summer will sustain them and provide during the cold month’s ahead. Reminding me of the collection of books from “Laura Ingalls Wilder “little house on the prairie collection” such a fun read for kids and adults, deffinitelly a regular read at grandmas house!

Because now we have supermarkets and can even do our shopping online it is such a treat to learn about this old fashioned traditions and specially be present to experience all that it entails, the work, sounds, smells, and flavors!

For some reason all this things speaks to my soul… the planting and harvesting, the canning and stocking for winter… maybe it is those old pilgrim roots and Miles Standish genes that come alive in this slow life we have chosen for ourselves.

I also think it is sadly a lost art that used to be passed down through generations and what a blessing to be one more link in that beautiful chain and include our little one as well! Who knows how many generations it will be passed down to after?! Hopefully many more…

I have noticed with COVID there has been a renewal interest in this old traditions. Which I find so exciting, I love seing my friends participating in these as well and reading about it specially “Tea with Toddlers” blog, it is always so fun to see what they are up to in their mini urban homestead.

I’m curious, have you been feeling the pull to slow living and the call back to the old fashioned style of life?

Luz

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...