Sourdough Waffles

 


If you follow me on Instagram (@americanflavorlatinspice you know from my stories how I have a strong love/ hate relationship with sourdough.

I like simple recipes, ones that are delicious and take 0 to minimal prep, time, or mental space. I pride myself in being able to alter recipes to fit this criteria.

And well sourdough is everything BUT that. My friend called it a delicious boring pet. Well I do agree it can be delicious but man does it require time and babying! You have to feed it, measure it by grams, count the days, watch the temperature, hop three times, wear blue on tuesdays, and clap twice before entering or leaving the house… all joking aside it does require A LOT of energy and mental space.

For that reason I gave up making sourdough bread, heck it takes 2 if not 3 days (hello feeding) and timers to flip and stretch every 30 mins and 60 mins for multiple hours in one day… what? Heck no 

But here comes the rub with sourdough, the love part. The waffles are undiscribably delicious. Deliriously fluffy and yummy. The only reason I am willing to put up with this high maintenance pet (although last time I made enough to freeze for a while)

So, here is the recipe… it does take 3 days… I know I know…

day #1 get the pet sourdough out of the fridgeand let it come to room temp

Day #2 the next morning dump some out feed it and place in a warm spot to bubble up and that night start the 1st part of the recipe (technically your feeding it twice but it will make those waffles soooo fluffy it’s worth it, if not they defflate)

Day #3 the next morning cook the most amazing waffles in the world (I think this recipe can be made in pancakes too but we have not tried it, if you do let us know how it worked out)

3 days, yeah I get it, but hey it’s the less involved recipe ever that has to do with sourdough, can’t be simplified any more than that given it’s innate quirks, sensitive personality, and high maintenance nature (but trust me in this case it’s worth it)

Sourdough Waffles!

The night before:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup sourdough starter

The next morning:

  1. Mix flour, 1 1/2 cup water, and sourdough starter together in a large bowl to make batter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until filled with large holes and bubbles, 4 hours to overnight.
  2. Stir oil, eggs, sugar, and salt into the batter; mix well to combine.
  3. Whisk 1 tablespoon water and baking soda together in a small bowl until dissolved. Fold into the batter with a rubber spatula.
  4. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  5. Pour batter onto preheated iron and bake until crisp and golden, according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 3 minutes.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

My favorite way to eat it is with cut strawberries and/or bananas…

oh and don’t forget they freeze beautifully just stick them in a freeze ziplock and toast them when you want to eat them

Luz

*recipe altered from Sam Nemati for Allrecipes

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...