Let’s talk a bit about contentment, spending, and emotional outsourcing

 “Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” —Socrates

Moving to Oregon and relaying on a Church pay budget was a big adjustment for our family, now with my flowers we are able to bring a bit more income thanks to my amazing customers, although it’s not much but it has helped us quite a bit.

Being on a tight budget has taught us to rethink our spending habits and with that we have realized that joy in the end is not found in our possessions. We had to learn to cut back and make due with what we have. I realized how I had gotten into the habit of satisfying my discontent by simply spending money, didn’t like my clothes I bought new ones, I felt stuck or down so I numbed out shopping, etc. It was a tough habit to break but when I started to understand myself, my triggers, and why the lack of that thing was causing discontent or why I wanted that thing in particular and what whole in my life I thought having it was going to fill, is when I realized how I was using things to satisfy a desire in my heart that no physical item can satisfy (spoiler alert thats the main reason why discontent always returns)

It has required that we learning how to be content and a constant commitment to gratitude, because well in life discontent will always rear its ugly head and become a great obstacle to fully thriving and having a joyful life and the only way to keep it at bay is by focusing on gratitude. Specially with social media, although if we have interactions with other people in our daily life it will happen there too, because it is easy to compare ourselves to others, our homes, our decor, our clothes, our vacations, etc. And we have all heard the expression “comparison is the thief of joy” I think there is no truer statement than that because when we compare it gives us fake goggles that make our things seem shabby, outdated, not good enough (the main reason why I don’t like watching home improvement shows) when in reality we forget those things are blessings we been gifted with and there are others out there desperately praying for them. When we are grateful it shifts our focus to all the good we have in our lives not all the things we lack. Yes, other people might have bigger budgets or are going deep into debt to live in such a beautiful way, we never really know the true story behind closed doors. We compare our worst to their best we see glimpses of, and by the way their life is never as perfect as your mind is making it out to be and the story you are telling yourself.

We have learned how important taking control of our attitude is and to be aware or “WHEN and THEN thinking” like “when I get (this thing-loose the weight, more money, fill in the blank) then I will be happy”. I saw it on myself, when I get a house with a yard and dog and cat I will be happy… that thought was bringing me and my relationship and my family so much misery because well God decided we were meant to live in a small apt and with a budget that does not realistically allow for that, and like Byron Katy says “when you argue with reality, you argue with God and you will loose 100% of the time”. So it was up to ME and only to me to shift my thinking, I had a choice: to keep arguing with reality and be miserable and make everyone else miserable in the process OR make the decision to be happy where I am and find the good in it … this has been the most important lesson I have EVER learned in my life: I have the choice and happiness is an inner thing, it is a decision I make, nothing outside of me can make me happy or unhappy because even if I got what I wanted the house of my dreams if I had not learned this lesson I would be just as miserable because I would still be outsourcing my emotions instead of taking responsibility for them myself. And now I love love love my little apt it makes me so happy, it’s cozy, easy to clean and maintain, even if we had the money I don’t know if I would even get the house anymore lol it was always up to me, not the thing, not anyone else but ME to find joy and be happy with my life.

If we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and clothes to wear we should be rejoicing with gratitude. We must learn to be contempt and be joyful and grateful with what we have and learn to budget responsibly. Because in the end it’s the family, the people we surround ourselves with, the community, the good coworkers, etc. that actually matter not the money or the stuff and we kind of knew that that when we decided to move here and change our way of living for we just had a lot more learning to do…

So I would like to invite you (specially this Holiday Season) Let’s make our homes and lives a tribute to gratitude and that way we will appreciate our blessings much more.

Luz

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...