lilac fever...

I don't know about you but I love the smell of Lilacs. They are a welcomed sight because it's the first signs of Summer. Living in the gray rainy cold Pacific North West the bright blooms and the sweet floral smell are like a little piece of Heaven reminding me dreary winter will not last forever. Although I have made peace with winter and now look forward to all the cozy it brings but more on that another day.

This year with all the emotional Rollercoaster I've been in I decided it's better to put my little flower shop on pause until my brain catches up. Yet as most, if not all, people know I cannot live without flowers. I find flowers to be very healing, we are made for beauty and we crave beauty, there is something about the beauty of flowers that speak to our souls. If you don't beleive me get some even if it is at the grocery store and set them where you will see them often and you will see what I mean.

Needless to say I may not be arranging flowers at the moment for my lovely customers but I am in fact still quite involved with flowers... these days you will find me wearing my apron covered in petals, flour, and all the baking ingredients.

This time I decided to try a lilac honey cake. Did you know lilacs are edible? I didn't but yes, they are and quite a treat! I also did a lilac sugar to add to my tea or to bake lilac sugar cookies at another time, also a scrub to pamper myself, and if I have enough blooms maybe an infused honey... we'll see... if not there is always next year!

My best friend allowed me to come and take as many lilacs from her front yard as my heart desired. I think she knows it's been given me a little joy during this time and she gets to try the goodies too. 

Did you know that the meaning of lilacs although it stands for renewal and confidence overall, each color of lilac has its own specific meaning. White lilacs represent purity and innocence, while purple lilacs symbolize spirituality. If the blooms edge more on the blue side of the color wheel, they symbolize happiness and tranquility.Magenta lilacs symbolize love and passion. And in Victorian Era they meant old love so widows usually wore lilacs.



Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...