Oh Peonies...

It's one of my all time favorite times of the year... Peony time! 

Seriously when I moved to the US and saw for the first time this beautiful, fragrant, feathery, giant, fluffy, soft, ball of pink puff my life has never been the same. I look forward to this time every year specially when I had my flower shop open... I miss it so I might re-open soon

But we found out not all Peonies are the same and they all NOT smell the same... yes...

normally I like to keep the feathery ones for our house because they are just so fun but the thing is when they are closed it is kind of a guessing game. What will it be? What color? Mixed colors? Hmmmm...

By the way, did you know that peonies when closed they are covered in sugar? Yep, they open when the sugar dries or the ants eat it allowing the petals to start to expand. Sometimes for events if they were too closed I'd run them under warm water to wash the sugar off (I have heard of people licking the sugar off and they are edible but don't quote me on that, better make sure before getting ideas) anyways after washing them I would give them a good whack on a wall or hard surface and in a few minutes in a warm area the the magic would start to happen, they would open up so beautifully!

Anyways back to my story... so I got some peonies for our house. I could not contain my excitement, I'm sure the rest of my clan was hiding from embarrassment as I jumed up and down when I saw them for sale, usually they are availeble after Memorial day and only for 1 or 2 weeks out of the year. 

I very lovingly placed them by the sink, this way I am able to turn a mundane task into a luxurious experience just with a simple act of adding some beauty to the space. Plus I can see them there from basically every corner of our tiny home and it brings a smile to my face. Flowers have that gift beauty speaks to our souls...

It was quite a fun to find out they were the "Coral Sunset Peonies" with giant petals and huge yellow centers. But turns out they did not like my sink either they would get too warm when running the coffee machine and then get cold with the AC... how did I know? Well they open during the day when it's warm and close at night when its cold... so I moved them to the counter instead to keep them from dying too early from dramatic exhaustion.

In the meantime I had been wondering what that random stench in our house was... no, it wasn't poopy diappers those have a particular smell we're probably inmune to by now so our sincere apologies if you come by our house... I even thought someone had cooked fish, how random how would I have not noticed? And it went on for a while until my little one said at the top of her lungs "Mami your Peonies stink" and then a few minutes later my husband comes over and so so so Seriously looked at me like we were having an intervention for me and said "your flowers smell really bad..." by now curiosity peeked my interest and I went over and sniffed them... terrible mistake... they smell SO BAD!!! 

I could not beleive those stunning flowers were the culprit! I apologize for my flower shop clients if I ever used them lol hopefully I mixed them with other flowers that would maybe mask the rotten fish smell. Anyways be warned about the Coral Sunsets... 

I could not throw them away they are so pretty so by popular demand they have been banished to the entrance area... highly recommend maybe avoid our place for a few days because not only will you be welcomed by baby diapper smell but also the stinkiest flowers we've ever had, not sure they beat "Cats Paw" flowers that smell like kitty litter but it's a close call... nah actually they do smell like a critter died in the house, so I think they are the winners of the stinkiest flower. 

In the meantime I hope you enjoy the pictures withought the smell!

I'm still hoping to get some Sarah Bernhardt ones (pink fluffy ones) and hopefully see if they smell better or maybe if it was COVID that broke out sense of smell 🤔 we'll  see

Luz


vanished to the entrance area...

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...