oh, the black honey of summer...

As I walked amongst the "plumpy" blackberries (like we like to call them) taking deep breaths of their sweet smell mixed with the recently watered garden dirt. While I filled my mouth with the black honey of summer straight from the sun kissed branches,I watched my little girl happily humming to herself beside me with grandmas colander overflowing and trying to figure out how she could cram just a few more without them rolling off.

Just then couldn't help but think of how romance doesn't just die, we let it, oh and how easy that can happen when we are not intentional in finding the beauty and wonder in the simple, monotonous, and humdrum rutine moments in our everyday life that seem meaningless and ordinary but are actually the opposite, those are the moments that we will look back to some day, those are what memories are made of.


We are a tad spoiled, I have to admit, by thornless blackberry bushes! What a joy to pick berries without bleeding and looking like we've just been attacked by a rabies riden stray cat... some may argue we are missing part of the experience, and I am happy to answer: yes, yes we are, you are 100% right but that is one thing I am ok experiencing just once if possible. Although if we do get invited by friends to go pick some wild ones with them or have a sudden lapse in judgement and plan it ourselves it would still be fun, and who knows they might taste even better when they cost sweat, blood, and tears...

But for now we will stick to the not evil bushes that do not have massive thorns or hides them under the leaves (yes they get you coming and going...)

I really look forward to this time of year! I love everything about the blackberries from the white flowers, the beautiful array of colors, the smell, the feeling with my fingers if they are soft and ready to pluck, that moment you plop the berry in your mouth and the juices fill it with sweetness and sometimes the surprising tart bite of a not sp ripe one, and an indescribable fragrance you can taste when they are in season... when was the last time you stopped and savored, truly savored, a berry? Funny how easy it can be to take for granted things in our every day husltle and bustle and not acutally live the moment with every one of our senses, oh what a gift it is when we do.

My favorite way to eat them is with full fat (yes I said it... full fat!) plain greek yogurt drizzled with honey, it is so creamy it feels like silk when you take a bite, and obsene amounts of blackberries of course! 

Most of the time out of a cute tea cup to add a flair of extra romance to the moment, because why not? It's worth celebrating our every day... 



Even when my brain isn't working right and let my oldest have free range at decorating for fall, I have my left half of the body and hair cover in spit up ... yes, my hair, now that requires mad skills, let me tell you, have not slept in almost 11 months... that might explain why I thought it was a great idea to let my 8yr decorate all by herself (and yes I'm twitching at the sight) and we find ourselves currently stuck in the Land of Mordor, oh check me out using Lord of the Rings, my husband and his nieces/nephews would be so proud, with no mountians, no hills, and no sun in sight...


but like the musicians in the Titanic, if this ship is going down and taking me down with it let it be in style trying to keep the romance alive... eatting my yogurt and berries out of a tea cup, thank you very much.

 

I'm curious, What is your favorite way to eat blackberries?

Luz

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...