Blueberry Extravaganza & fluffy blueberry pancakes recipe

 One of our favorite summer activities is going blueberry picking at a little U-pick parm we found in our town.

Normally by this time the weather is crazy hot or smoky with fires but it has been a really pleasant summer so far, so pleasant that we didn’t have to go at the crack of dawn but last minute thought of it and were still able to pick buckets before it warmed up. The Oregon shade to sun 10° difference helps ofcourse, but when we saw our little one hiding under a bush munching on fist fulls of berries we knew it was time to pack up and go.

She’s hiding under the bush

I love blueberry picking even though it’s really challenging for me with slight color blindness (tints and shades) I can’t quite tell when they are actually ripe lol.

I always thought blueberries were purple but turns out they are actually blue, that explains why I didn’t get why they called them BLUEberries before, so I guess it was me all along not being able to distinguish the color lol.

I Found that out when my friend said “for the ripe ones make sure to pick the blue ones” to what I answered in compleate disbelief “what? You mean the purple ones?” Let’s just say it was a hilarious and slightly embarrassing conversation.

When I brought my conundrum to my husband his answer was “just stick them in your mouth and see how they taste, then you know what you’re supposed to pick” makes sense right?

The problem is there comes a point when they all look the same shade to me, so I would end up eatting all of them and picking none (not terrible but I do want to keep some lol) but I tried it ofcourse, like I need an excuse to eat more blueberries, and the lady on the other row kept laughing as I sang a chorus of “that was a good one” and “eeek sour, oh so sour, blagh”

But that does not stop me from trying or having fun and now my husband has a new tedious job… go though my bucket and pick out all the NOT blue/ripe ones (about half a bucket full or so… lol) at first I was doing that until it dawned on him “why is the color blind going through the bucket?”

I don’t know, I really don’t know… so now I just stand there with a bewilderd look on my face as I stare at my bucket and munch on actually ripe blueberries out of his bucket in the process.

All in all it was a fun and quite successful picking day!

And as you probably guessed by now we made fluffy blueberry pancakes to celebrate!

Recipe for our fluffy blueberry pancakes

  • ¾ cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • cooking spray
  • Combine milk with vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”
  • Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into “soured” milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
  • Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, top with blueberries and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side
  • Enjoy!!!

Ps: as a frugal tip cook more pancakes than you would need and freeze for quick breakfast or dinners (no judgement here!)

Popular posts from this blog

our new obsession

Triumph Muffins

Rose Cake and some things I have been pondering lately...